My Favorite Things


I thought I’d share a few of my favorite things.

(One of) My Favorite Book(s)
This is the book I have recommended to more people than any other, The Confidence Code by Katty Kay and Claire Shipman. It’s not new, it was published in 2014, but the content is so important for women.

The authors are well respected journalists who have interviewed female heads of business as well as heads of state. They were often surprised at what happened once the camera was off. These powerful and accomplished females relayed comments that indicated a lack of confidence that their male interview subjects never exhibited. Even Sheryl Sandberg, in an interview before the release of Lean In, said “There are still days I wake up feeling like a fraud, not sure I should be where I am.”
As the authors begin to dig deeper into the subject of confidence, they came upon studies that show there is a vast confidence gap that separates the sexes. Women don’t consider themselves as ready for promotions, fear testing and generally underestimate their abilities. The bad news - success correlates as closely with confidence as with competence. The good news – confidence can be acquired and the confidence gap closed.

Visit their website, www.theconfidencecode.com to read their blog, take a confidence quiz and more. If you want a cliff notes version, check out the article featured online at The Atlantic, an interview with the authors called “The Confidence Gap.”

My Favorite Way to Stay Current
Subscribe to www.theSkimm.com, a daily email newsletter that skims the news and reports it in a fresh way. They also provide Skimm Guides on those topics that stay in the news and need a little more in-depth reporting such as elections or Supreme Court rulings.

My Favorite Viewing Tips
On network, I’m in love with “This is Us”, a big, beautiful show about a family, shared birthdays, and how the past influences the future every day.

My Netflix favorite is “The Crown”, a biographical story about the reign of Queen Elizabeth II. This series has competed Seasons 1 and 2 and I’m excited for Season 3. I love the story and learning who Queen Elizabeth is and what motivates her. It’s a “behind the scenes” look at what happens when you answer the call of duty that you were born into and did not choose for yourself or your family.

My Favorite Blog
Seth Godin is an author of more than 20 books, including “The Purple Cow”: Transform Your Business by Being Remarkable” and a former dot com executive. He can be found blogging at www.sethgodin.typepad.com. His blog was named one of Time’s 25 best blogs of 2009. His posts are concise, smart and snappy and applicable across industries and professions.

My Favorite App
My podcast app is my favorite - I love listening to podcasts on my iphone. I listen to a podcast when I work out, while walking, when I travel, at my desk – I am addicted. Here’s what’s on my podcast playlist: NPR’s This American Life, The West Wing Weekly, Stay Tuned with Preet, Ear Hustle, WDW Prep to Go, The Nod, Slate’s Slow Burn, Uncivil, Oprah’s Super Soul Conversations, TED Radio Hour, Malcolm Gladwell’s and Revisionist History. And some other stuff, but this will get you started.

Now that you know more about my favorite things, I hope you’ll try some of these for yourself.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technology is Overrated

My 2016 Reading Challenge - Part 3

For the Love of Lists