Changing Seasons



It’s finally beginning to feel like fall. Today, I’m wearing a sweater and boots, for me a sure sign of changing seasons. During this time of year, I’m sure that fall is my favorite season. I love how invigorating cooler temperatures feel and how deep blue the sky looks after a summer of baby blue softness. I love the robust colors – orange, burgundy and gold. In the fall, one of my favorite things to do is to go to a pumpkin farm and walk around admiring the hundreds of pumpkins plucked from the patch waiting for me to adopt and perch on my front steps. And while I’m walking around admiring the pumpkins and the fall mums, hopefully, I’m drinking apple cider or eating pumpkin ice-cream – a once a year treat.

On Saturday, I’ll take my 7 year old niece Carly and 11 year old nephew Lane to the pumpkin farm and we’ll do all of this and more. There will be a corn maze, wagon rides and face painting. But my primary goal will be making memories. There will come a day when the pumpkin patch won’t hold such excitement for them. So on Saturday, I’ll need to take photos of them being goofy and sweet and silly, but I won’t need those photos to remind me of the day. In my mind, I can see both of them as they were on the day they were born – looking so much like my sister, and even me, with their tell-tale red hair and ivory complexion. I remember the looks of wonder that crossed their faces as they took their first steps and I’m sure this age will be imprinted in my mind forever as well.

These stages of the kids’ lives are like the changing seasons. As I’m in each season, I’m sure it’s my favorite. Each season has something to offer that is different from the others – the lazy days of summer, the bustle of Christmas shopping in winter and the beauty of a spring day. When the kids were small, I thought that season of their life couldn’t provide any more enjoyment for me. They smelled like baby powder and they gurgled and cooed like baby lambs. But as they got older, their personalities began to develop. They started having conversations and interacting with me in new ways. They made decisions about what they wanted to do and what they wanted to wear. They talked non-stop and told me stories about school and friends and imaginary trips we would take together. And I want to squeeze them so they’ll stop growing and stay young forever.

And then, I think of my niece in college. Amanda is 18 and she’s amazing. She’s smart and funny. She calls without any reason just to say hello. And when she’s home for fall break she wants to go to dinner just because she misses us. And then I realize all the stages are perfect. I don’t love her more now than when she was two or ten, I just love each new stage and learning more about the person she is becoming.

Tonight, I’m going to watch my 14 year old nephew Michael play football. This stage of his life is a joy to watch. He’s handsome and fun; he has a sweet heart and competitive spirit. Last night, I watched my 8 year old niece Jenna at swim practice. She is all pony tail and smiles, and as I watch her swim laps across the pool, I realize my favorite season is the one I’m in. Just as I love Maine in summer and the beach in the fall, I feel total joy in celebrating the lives of these kids in all their various stages. I don’t mind the passing of the seasons or the aging of the kids because each new stage is full of surprises and gifts.

Comments

  1. Camille, You have taken me back through the "seasons" of our four children just by sharing your love and thoughts about Amanda, Michael, Jenna, Carly, and Lane. You have also made me a little sad that I never had a aunt like you as I grew up. You are awesome and the love those kids has for you radiates every time I see you all together.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Technology is Overrated

My 2016 Reading Challenge - Part 3